Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Lucero at Turner Hall

Two and one-half weeks ago E Eugene and I made a rare Sunday trip to Cream City to see Lucero for the first time. I've always wanted to see this band in concert, ever since I bought That Much Further West right after college. Unfortunately for me, the band has never had a Madison show (to my knowledge) in this time. When I saw that Lucero would be playing the Turner Hall Ballroom, across from the Bradley Center, I had no doubts. I've been to the restaurant at Turner Hall quite a few times, usually before catching a big-name concert at the Bradley Center with my parents. I recall once we went up to the Ballroom, which was serving as an overflow bar prior to some show (maybe Clapton?). I was excited to see the place again. It's a cavernous old room, burnt out and echoing with history. Here's a picture:I'm out of time at the moment, so here is another (likely better) review by Ryan over at Muzzle of Bees. In addition, here's the link to the gallery of photos that the folks at the Pabst Theater (the operators of the Turner Hall Ballroom) put together for the show. I can only say good things about what these people have done with the Pabst, and I'm hoping they can do the same for the Turner.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love obscure references. I will now refer to Milwaukee as Cream City.

Also, Lyds and I are taking the 'rents to see TSO at the Bradley Center in Dec. Should we go to Turner Hall for dinner?

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice..didn't know about the pictures from the Pabst...thanks!

11:24 AM  
Blogger wallrock said...

Sarah - I think that Turner Hall would be a good choice if your folks like German-style meals. I'm not sure if they do reservations, however. It can get really busy before Bradley Center events.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home