Friday, May 19, 2006

Drinking Pabst at the Pabst with DBT


I am currently staring down the clock, waiting for a suitable time to stage my departure. As for me, I've had worse days, certainly, but today was one long grind. Here's why:

Last night I ventured over to Cream City to catch one of my all-time favorite bands, the Drive-by Truckers, play at the Pabst Theater. I learned of this momentous show from one of my daily visits to Muzzle of Bees, my hook-up for all things happening here in the Dairy State. I immediately made plans to go. Originally four of us were making the trek, but E Eugene cancelled to pursue his gardening fetish. This left Natan and Joe with yours truly manning the helm.

Natan and I left Madison, and had to go to Racine to pick up Joe. This took longer than expected, and we ended up missing the opening band. We got to the theater just as DBT came on, opening with "Gravity's Gone" from A Blessing And A Curse, their new album. I was ecstatic. I bought the new album the day it came out, and I have been anxiously awaiting my chance to hear these songs live.

Originally I wanted to be up front, as close as I could get, but we ended up getting seats up in the balcony where the view was a bit cleared. While watching the show Joe and I had a few Pabst tall boys. This seemed perfectly appropriate to the setting. One great song followed another, mixing the selection of new songs with old favorites from their past albums.

The show ended around 11:30, and I swung by the merch table to get a shirt. My old DBT shirt had gotten mysteriously ripped in the wash, and I wanted to get a replacement. While waiting for this, I saw that the band has a live DVD, Live at the 40 Watt. Now I can watch a DBT concert whenever the mood strikes me.

To sum it all up, I am tired but happy. We didn't get back to Madison until 1:30, and Joe and I were up until 2:30 watching the DVD. I still made it in to work by 7:30. I unwisely scheduled an appointment for 4:30 this afternoon. That probably won't go well. But I'd do it all over again, because the Drive-by Truckers are just that damn good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home